Remembering Melvin Elliot Karlin

Melvin Elliot Karlin 1921-2008

Mel Karlin (born Melvin Krulevetski), was born in Brooklyn, New York and was the son of Russian immigrants, Saddie and Sam Krulevetski; he had two older siblings; Frank, and Ruth, they are now deceased. The tradition of the of the family was to be in the medical field, so Mel graduated Brooklyn College with a pharmacy degree and followed in his father’s footsteps, taking over the pharmacy they had in Coldspring, New York.

Mel met his wife Bonnie in the 1940's and served in the Navy during WWII and after his enlistment, Mel and Bonnie got married and had three children; Sam, Larry, and Patricia. It wasn’t long before Mel got the "GO West Young Man" bug, and loaded up his three children, wife, and bought his brand new 1956 Chevy station wagon and headed west to put down stakes in California. Mel’s spent the next 27 years working for the County Of Orange/UC Medical Center and began accruing California real estate while having their fourth baby, Laurie. During his working career, Mel became the Director of Pharmacy for the UCI Medical Center. He amassed multiple awards for his achievements and was loved , admired, and quoted by many of his students, administrators, and colleagues.

Mel, took on all challenges seriously, from teaching himself piano, carpentry, masonary, to mastering computers at age 70. So when he was diagnosed with kidney failure and had to be on dialysis for the rest of years, he simply stated that "you do what you got to do", never complained(much), and added that "it beats a stick in the eye".

Mel, loved his family and friends, and was a world class Kibbitzer. He could tell jokes and stories artfully, and would always add a morale or two for good measure. People remember Mel as honest, witty, reliable, smart, organized, charismatic, and of course the great planner. He would plan far into the future for any continency that might occur. It allowed his family to always feel love and protected, and provided for.

Mel, helped many people by providing great business advice, financial help, and common sense; he was a true visionary, a renaissance man, and a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, and friend. And there will never be anyone quite like Melvin Elliot Karlin, a lover of Frank Sinatra, Yorkshire Terriers, good jazz, and beautiful vistas. He will be missed by us all------but as Frank Sinatra sang these words befitting Melvin Karlin, they are that " I did It My Way", and that he did..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to learn of Mel's passing, though pleased he lived so long and continued to contribute his wisdom.

I was a resident at UCI from 1977-78 and stayed on for 12 more years after finishing, though my staff role activated early because of Prop. 16 passing and a threatened hiring freeze. During the 3 months that I was still a resident, he always turned the corner outside his office before leaving for the night to see if I was still working since I had 'two jobs'. I know he did it in a supportive way, but I could count on it. He was the right blend of supportive soul and strict disciplinarian. I could count on him to be ethical which is one of the values I prize most. I now know this is a rare trait, and so I appreciate it all the more.

I felt honored that during my residency he used me as a ghost writer for many of his famous interoffice memos. At first I felt burdened by it because of all the other assignments given to residents, but came to appreciate that he relied on few to counsel him on crafting his documents.

One afternoon at the end of the residency year (I 'served' with Martin Hesky), he invited us to join him for lunch offsite. It was rare to be able to leave the UCIMC grounds! We had a nice lunch in Orange, where he imparted his wisdom to us for our respective futures, and when the check came, he handed it to us for payment! We were stunned, and thought he was joking, but expected us to pay. I always used caution with his 'invitations' after that.

I wish I had been able to stay more in touch with him, but things happen and life moves on. I have been able to reconnect with Ed Petrillo who was Mel's Assistant Director for Ambulatory Care in those days, and have enjoyed remembering the past, but also weaving new memories with him.

We had some awesome personnel at UCIMC over the years, and I do keep up with some of my former residents: Debbie Wible, Darlene Fujimoto, Pam (Salas) Schweitzer, Richard Thomas, Peter Berggren, and Andrea Anderson most recently.

Mel was a significant figure in the shaping of the department's success, and mentoring the many who are now leaders in their past and current organizations. I still remember it as if it were yesterday, though maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

Steve and I send our sympathies to his family.